June 29, 2020
The Cass County public school corporations appreciate the patience and understanding of our families and communities during the last few months. Cass County Superintendents are working together to create a County Wide Re-Opening plan for the 2020-2021 school year. As we work to finalize the plan, we would like to share with you the guiding principles that we are using. These principles are based on current health and safety recommendations and guidance from the Indiana Governor, Indiana State Department of Health, and Cass County Health Department.
Cass County Schools will:
- Start school as scheduled with no alteration to published school calendars
- Implement appropriate safety measures as recommended by state and county health officials
These measures include, but are not limited to:
- Strongly encourage students and staff members to wear masks with masks required in some settings
- Provide frequent opportunities for hand washing and/or hand sanitation
- Require students and staff to follow established protocol for return to school after illness
- Maximize instructional space and scheduling flexibility
- Employ enhanced cleaning procedures with additional hand sanitizer stations
- Adjust lunches to maximize available open space and utilize alternate scheduling to adhere to safety guidelines
- Identify and separate space in school clinics to treat symptomatic students
- Restrict visitors and guests in our buildings
Once the County wide and district plans are finalized, they will be submitted to Dr. Ditty, Health Officer, Cass County Health Department for approval. These plans will be presented to each school board during their scheduled July school board meeting on the following dates:
Caston July 15, 2020
Lewis Cass July 15, 2020
Logansport July 13, 2020
Pioneer July 14, 2020
Please understand that these are beginning steps as we plan to return to school this fall and that as guidance changes, modifications may be made. Additional details will be forthcoming from each school district in mid-July.
Thank you for supporting your Cass County public schools as we look forward to a safe reopening for the 2020-2021 school year.
Mrs. Cindy Douglas, Caston Dr. Tim Garland, Lewis Cass
Mrs. Michele Starkey, Logansport Dr. Chuck Grable, Pioneer